Monday, November 12, 2012

Roots - Sally Stitches

I began sewing in 2006 when a friend introduced me to 'cosplay' (costume play). At the time it was a fun way to take a fandom to the next level where I could create something and be artistic. I am thankful for this nerdy time during high school because it was what got me so interested in sewing.

The whole idea behind cosplay is creating a costume replicating exactly how a character looks whether they be from a from a comic, tv show, game or movie. So through the process I learned to be very detail oriented and creative.

One of my first costumes was Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas (Halloween 2006).
(Please excuse the bad makeup / photo quality. Those skills were developed later on)

I built it on top of an existing dress. I remember studying the movie intently taking notes to see exactly how certain lines fell looked on. To this day I still love wearing it as it is more accurate than a lot of other Sally costumes that stores sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment